Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#969339 by come&gone
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm
Were we talking about tires? My last two sets of tires were Michelin Commander II's. Liked em, but I got a new ride. 2011 Ultra that has Dunlop's that look real good. The other day I'm laying on the floor in the garage checking the air in the tires when I see the bright shiny head of the screw stuck smack dab in the middle of my rear one. :( Now out along the road it's no brainer. Get back on and get movin to somewhere it can be fixed. But I'm in my garage so let's just see what happens. Listening very closely and ready to put the screw back in I pulled it out. No leak, checked with reading glasses, spray windex and a flashlight. No bubbles.

But the longer I ponder the length of the screw the more I was left wondering how close to a true puncture it was. And after a couple hundred miles of thinking about the hole in my tire I began to think about flat tires in the middle of nowhere SD and it was wearing on me. I've even decided I don't like the way the Dunlop's handled. Plus they had the thin whitewall. And I'm a bit of a freak about bike tires. When I change tires the old ones are worn, not worn out.

I guess I'll have to drink exclusively at the Beaver Bar and the Crossroads for the $2.00 beers :shock: My new Michelin's should be here Thursday. :D
#969427 by Hoop
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm
Smart move. When it comes to motorcycle tires, take no chances.

There are lots of things in this world where a person can save money. Motorcycle safety should never make the list.
#969447 by Teqsun
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 am
I took a closer look at mine over the weekend...about 1/32 left in center tread on rear tire. Might be fine in the hills, as the sides are good...lol. But I'm putting a new one on next week, as I'm sure it will rain during the rally.
#969448 by Leadhand
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:33 am
Hoop wrote:Smart move. When it comes to motorcycle tires, take no chances.

There are lots of things in this world where a person can save money. Motorcycle safety should never make the list.

truer words were never spoken :thumbsup: I don't know why guys ride till the tire is bald-not me. Take no chances with tires.
#969476 by randee
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am
Leadhand wrote:

truer words were never spoken :thumbsup: I don't know why guys ride till the tire is bald-not me. Take no chances with tires.

And brakes... I've taken a lot of photos on Sturgis Main St corners and you'd be surprised to hear how many bikes grind to a halt. Metal on metal, throw in some gravel grit.
#969477 by come&gone
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm
randee wrote:
Leadhand wrote:

And brakes... I've taken a lot of photos on Sturgis Main St corners and you'd be surprised to hear how many bikes grind to a halt. Metal on metal, throw in some gravel grit.

Since I quit installing my own tires a few years ago the shop has standing instructions. If the brakes look iffy at all, change them. They do it for no labor while they're in there.

And it's a GREAT day. One of my warehouse guys just carried in my new tires. UPS just delivered them. :D
#969525 by Sancho
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am
$400 for a new set of tires buys a lot of peace of mind. Motorcycle Superstore has Avon Cobras on sale 30% off and free shipping. Very good tire and quiet riding. Have 15k miles on a set and still look great.
#969805 by sacto
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm
Sancho wrote:$400 for a new set of tires buys a lot of peace of mind. Motorcycle Superstore has Avon Cobras on sale 30% off and free shipping. Very good tire and quiet riding. Have 15k miles on a set and still look great.

love avons 8)
#969851 by DOGZ
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 am
i usually get 15k - 20k outta set of Avon Venoms.
#969881 by Teqsun
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm
I just changed my original rear tire today... 17,500 miles. Could have gone further, but not worth the chance in a rainstorm.
#969981 by ChuckieBrown
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:43 pm
Original Dunlop on the Roadglide went 15k.....but it was kinda bad before that I was just waiting to match it to whatever came on a 21...

avon venom x...next 2 bout 7 each.......gonna try Michelin commanders now
#970027 by come&gone
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:51 am
The new Michelins are on :D The Dunlops were pretty new, but I can tell the difference. :ride: