Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#967234 by come&gone
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 am
My son has a 2006 Dyna Super Glide Custom. Bought it last year with 5,000 miles on it. It now has 15,000. Lat week he took off for Yellowstone via the Black Hills. Was planning on Monument Valley as well.
Out in Wyoming between Worland and Thermopolis things went to shit. The bolts came out of his rear drive pulley. Two snapped off. He kept it up and got to the side of the rode. There are some nasty gouges in his swing arm, but just cosmetic. A local shop in Worland gave me a prognosis I didn't agree with and he came home in a U-haul, vacation over. As I get on line and look in to this it seems to be far too common. I've been reading dozens of stories of this happening to other people. Many years ago a friend crashed and died from this occurring. I thought it was just something that could happen if ya don't keep an eye one your bike.
#967236 by EM2
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am
Good reminder C&G. With folks about the hit the roads, a thorough check of the bikes are a good thing and the pulley bolts are often overlooked. Which reminds me...I need to check mine. :oops:
#970234 by come&gone
Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 pm
Ran in to a guy at HD in Rapid on Monday the 7th. He was carrying a destroyed rear wheel and pulley. Same thing, only he was riding an Ultra, all the other stories I heard were Dynas.
Apparently no one is safe. And the problem with the Ultra is you can barely even see em easily.