Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#967568 by Deberas Run
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm
My name is Debera and I will be going on my 1st Visit to Sturgis, solo.
Riding my '13 Honda Phantom (can't afford a HD yet) and plan on camping out while I'm there.
I am so looking forward to spend time riding such a long distance and finding my limit in iron-butt miles, which I am sure will kick my ass for the first few days.
Any pointers you veterans of the ride care to offer up?

thanks for reading,
Debera
#967569 by SturgisSoundguy
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm
Looks like a pretty straight shot on the I-90 Washington to Sturgis, 1156 miles. 2 days easy with good weather stopping for gas and sit down meals.

Book your hotel for your overnight stays on the ride there and back early.

Don't worry about not being on a Harley, lots of non H-D bikes in Sturgis. Hell the Sturgis Rally was started by an Indian Motorcycle dealer and Indian motorcycle riders.
#967571 by EM2
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm
If this is your first long distance trip, don't try to push your limits too hard. Stay hydrated and plan enough breaks to keep your wits about you. 600 miles on a bike in a day can be testing.

Good luck and plan your riding smart. :wink:
#967573 by husker harley
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:51 pm
If you have time I would highly recommend riding Bear Tooth Pass on Why 212 in Montana and stay the night in RedLodge, MT. Sturgis is just a nice one day ride from there. I have ridden the bike in every lower 48 states and go to Sturgis every year and Bear Tooth Pass is my favorite.

Drink plenty of water when you stop for gas and food.

You will love it. Ride safe, have fun.
#967617 by SturgisSoundguy
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Yes Bear Tooth is AWESOME! Coming from Washington to Sturgis it would be a very scenic detour. I-90 east, then south to Red Lodge - Bear Tooth - Cooke City, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway to Cody, then Cody over the Bighorns to Ranchester and the I-90 east again.

Possibly adds a whole day to the trip getting to Sturgis if you're not a super experienced rider on twisty high elevation mountain roads. Last time I went that way a couple years ago with one of my friends it snowed on us at Top Of the World, on July 9th. Make sure you pack riding gear for EVERY weather possible!

If you do go that way take the southern route from Cody to Greybull to the Bighorns, the northern route Cody through Powell is not as scenic.

At the speed limit on the I-90 it's 7.5 hours (plus gas and food stops) to cover 600 miles a day easy with good weather.

Have a great trip!

P.S. There is a cool little bar in Ranchester that has a great BBQ during the Rally for travelers.
#967656 by Sancho
Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 am
Welcome Debera, have fun on your great adventure but don't over do it. You have received some good advice so far. Don't plan on riding it in two days from Western Washington unless you are a real iron-butt. What is the range of your bike between fuel stops? Don't run it to the limit on fuel as there can be a long distance between towns in Montana.
Montana in the summer is known for road construction. You can have as much as 15 to 20 miles of 55 mph in a construction zone. Last year I had over 50 miles of construction on I-90 in Montana. I travel at 70 to 75 mph and plan on averaging 50 mph throughout the day with fuel stops, rest breaks, meals and sight seeing. Going to Sturgis is more then just Sturgis. It is the ride to and from. Shortest route for me is about 850 miles but some years I am over 2,000 mile before I get there. Take the time to explore Montana and Wyoming either going or returning. As others have said, the Bear-tooth is a bucket list ride. Also visit Yellowstone Park and Cody, Wyoming.
I usually motel on the way to and from as camping eats up too much time unpacking and repacking the next day. So now that we have all had our say, just ignore us and do your own thing and enjoy. :D
#968161 by Harley320
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 am
Hello All, We are from central MN headed to keystone July 29th through August 6th we are two couples, one married couple. one not. Staying at Keystone Kemps kamp. just seeing if anyone had any group rides planned and didn't mind a couple tag alongs?
#968162 by EM2
Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 pm
Harley320 wrote:Hello All, We are from central MN headed to keystone July 29th through August 6th we are two couples, one married couple. one not. Staying at Keystone Kemps kamp. just seeing if anyone had any group rides planned and didn't mind a couple tag alongs?

Welcome! Take a look at the "Meet and Greet" thread. There are some rides and places to meet others from this board. Good luck and have a safe trip!
#969332 by nursekappele
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm
That's awesome! I too am making my first trip to Sturgis this year! I'm coming from Chesapeake VA, there are 4 of us in our group, and then another 2 meeting up somewhere on the way coming from Florida.. We staying in Custer State Park. Curious to see how popular of a place it may be for the rally....lol
Safe travels!
Denise :goofy:
#969333 by nursekappele
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 pm
Hello,
My name is Denise, and this is my first Sturgis Rally! I have been counting down the days! We are coming in from Chesapeake VA, and another couple friends from Florida, plan on meeting somewhere on the road. Curious if anyone has any experience with staying at Custer State Park Blue Bell? Are there other bikers staying there? Or is it too far away?
Denise :m08: :m09: :goofy:
#ultraclassicgirl #sheridesadresser
Attachments
1378066_10202246242897546_94149425_n.jpg
1378066_10202246242897546_94149425_n.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
#969338 by Teqsun
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:51 pm
nursekappele wrote:Hello,
My name is Denise, and this is my first Sturgis Rally! I have been counting down the days! We are coming in from Chesapeake VA, and another couple friends from Florida, plan on meeting somewhere on the road. Curious if anyone has any experience with staying at Custer State Park Blue Bell? Are there other bikers staying there? Or is it too far away?

We stay just outside of Custer... at a friends place. It is on the other end of the world from Sturgis, a little tough to meet people you know from the Sturgis area campgrounds, etc... as it will be 1.5-2.0 hours up there. But you have immediate access to the southern hills attractions/rides early in the morning. Njoy... ride safe.
#969343 by come&gone
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 pm
nursekappele wrote:Hello,

Is that a Klock Werks windshield? No reason just asking. :lol: