Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#970862 by SturgisSoundguy
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:18 pm
If you don't know Gary he was the man who started Glencoe Campground. He was a real nice guy. One of the few people I dealt with associated with the Rally who would look you in the eye and you knew he was talking straight.

He was an interesting guy too. I remember stopping by his mobile home (yes one of the "richest" people in Sturgis lived in a Mobile home) and asked if he wanted to go for a ride and he said he didn't ride anymore, he got a new toy, an airplane. Gary did later build a pretty impressive McMansion just over the hill from the Glencoe ampitheater.

He got into a bad deal with a promotion company and ended up having to sell Glencoe to pay off debt from the promotion company folding. He was able to keep his other businesses and lots of people in Sturgis have worked for, and with, Gary over the years. I have a lot of good memories from working out there at Glencoe with him.

RIP Gary.
#970863 by come&gone
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 pm
Sorry to here that. Talked with him many times in the early years of Glencoe. Always pleasant to chat with him. Things were a lot less hectic back then. We stayed there the 1st year they were open and a lot of times after.
Lot of good memories/stories from when he had it. :D We even got to have campfires back then and they supplied a shitload of wood.
Time may have faded my memory and I haven't stayed at Glencoe in years, but I believe I can remembering him always having on the orange overalls. Made him easy to spot. :)

Sorry to hear he's gone.
#970875 by randee
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 am
Sad to hear - Gary was only 66 years old. All the weight problems aged him past his natural years.
I agree SSG, Gary will be missed by many. He was a very likable guy.