Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#973535 by Wanderlost
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 pm
Brother just sent this text:

Harley-Davidson moves to close KC plant
53 mins. ago
Harley-Davidson Inc. announced early Tuesday that it plans to close its manufacturing plan in Kansas City, North, by the summer of 2019. The company said it will consolidate the operations with its manufacturing plant in York, Pa.

Tuesday’s announcement to investors was a complete surprise to employees, three fourths of whom are represented by one of two unions.

“They didn’t even give us a call ahead of time,” said Joe Capra, directing business agent for Local 778 of the International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers. “It is real devastation for these people who work here and work hard in the Kansas City area.”

"current U.S. capacity exceeds U.S. demand.”

The company expects to add 450 full-time, casual and contractor positions to its York facility, which will be expanded to support additional production.

KC union rep “Labor costs are more expensive in York,” he said. “That’s why it is so surprising.”

More info here: ... -2019/amp/

And here: ... acity.html

And here: ... 078008001/
#973537 by SturgisSoundguy
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm
Harley might have better sales if they made bikes people actually like the looks of and that ride/perform well for the people getting started riding. The H-D Street models are junk, Harley only hurt it's credibility with that import line.

It would be easy for Harley to make a higher performance version of the Sportster and a "small" size touring version as well. Maybe a shaft drive to get more power to the rear wheel? What a concept, an entry level affordable USA made motorcycle that is fun!

And for God's sake stop putting miniature gas tanks on motorcycles!!!!

If you have been on H-D's website there are ZERO 2018 Dyna's and they stopped making the V-ROD with the 2017 model year.

My wife has an 2005 V-ROD. She took a lot of bikes on test rides at the 2017 Rally. When she got back from riding a 110 Screaming Eagle Breakout the guy asked her how she liked it and she replied it was a "gutless dog". The Harley Demo guy asked her what she rode and when she replied '05 V-ROD he said "we don't make anything that performs like those anymore". My brother Joe also took out a different 110 S.E. Breakout and when he got back he asked the H-D Demo guy if the bike was de-tuned and the Demo guy said no, he asked Joe what he rode ('06 V-ROD) and that Demo guy also said H-D doesn't make anything that performs as well as the V-ROD.

I personally don't like the looks of any of the Softtails and they sure don't ride as nicely as a bike with dual rear shocks in my opinion. If you like the Heritage Classic with windshield and bags you might as well buy the Road King, same price for a better ride.

I hope H-D brings back a well designed Dyna line with good looks and better performance/handling. The only current H-D I would consider in the future is the Road King, I'm not ready for a full on Geezer Glide yet! Keeping my eye on Indian's, see what they come up with for 2019 models.
#973540 by Wanderlost
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm
I ride a 2004 Fat Boy. Over the years, I've customized it to fit me perfectly. Haven't seen a thing in the H-D inventory since that would convince me to buy new.

Nope. Gonna keep on riding Moby Pig the Great White Hog.
#973557 by Hoop
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm
There is a glut of used HD's in the market. New HD buyers generally don't care about the used market but it certainly effects them through lower trade in prices. Depreciation used to be minimal on HD's, which is no longer the case. At Sturgis this last year, my buds & I looked at some bikes and joked that the first ride (depreciation) on many bikes would be $5K or more.

I happen to think HD does poorly when they depart from there normal type of bike production. Buell is history. The V-Rod is gone. The MV Agusta debacle is laughable as HD paid $109 million for the company, paid off $70 million in debt, and then sold it for $3.98, but only after they put $26 million into its coffers. Time will only tell if the "Street" is a success. I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

People have been writing off HD for well over 40 years. Not going to happen. HD's success will occur on how well they can adapt to being a motorcycle manufacturer with lower production. They have a very enviable manufacturing set up. Basically only 2 engines, 2 transmissions, a handful of frames. Compare that to Honda/etc each with roughly 35 different models/engines/transmissions/etc.
#973594 by come&gone
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 pm
I've been through the KC plant. Very hi tech and happy looking peeps working there. It's sucks, but look at Harley's earning report for the 4th quarter of 2017 vs previous year 4th. Ouch!
Face it, us HD riders are getting older, OK quite a bit older :shock: And that means we're going away too. At a higher rate than we're being replaced I'm guessing :(
We won't be the 1st species to become extinct :shrug:

And I WILL test ride the electric model some day at "The Mother Rally" if I live that long :lol:

I rode a Can Am Spyder up there a few years ago, I sometimes look for lows to stoop too. :shock: