Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#965302 by dschommer
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm
I'm taking my girlfriend this year and don't want her on the back of my Softail for 850 miles. I'm thinking of trailering it out there, parking the car and trailer somewhere and then tooting around for a few days camping. Wondering if anyone has recommendations on where I could park the car and trailer for 4 or 5 days. I thought about contacting a dealership. I don't trust leaving it at a hotel I can't think of any options. I don't want to have to load up the bike every night and haul it around from place to place. Ideally, we would haul it out there, leave it out and then haul it back.

Ideas?

Doug
#965303 by randee
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm
[quote="Ideas?[/quote]
Most of the campgrounds have unloading docs and places for you to park the vehicle and trailer while you camp...
#965342 by Leadhand
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:06 am
where do you plan on camping or staying while you are there? Not sure what kinda trailer you have, but I know at
Glencoe you can park in the general tent areas with your vehicle and trailer according to the
info they sent me. 195 per person which includes the wrist band. Tent area is a 1st come 1st
area. Personally I have never stayed at Glencoe - That price is for the whole rally period and I
don't think they have a daily rate, but don't quote me on that. Need more info from you to give
you better info.
#965343 by Leadhand
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am
**THESE RATES ARE FOR THE 2017 STURGIS MOTORCYCLE RALLY** $195.00
The 2017 Glencoe CampResort wristband is required for admission to the campground. It is valid from 7:00am on August 1st 2017 through 10:00am on August 15th, 2017 - or ANY NUMBER OF DAYS BETWEEN THOSE TWO. There is no alternative admission for shorter stays. If you choose to camp in our general camping area (tent, self contained RV, toy hauler, etc) the wristband is all you'll need to purchase for your camping. RV Sites, Cabins, Park Models (when available) are in ADDITION to the wristband. The wristband allows access to all entertainment, vendor village, showerhouses, the "Alley" and all other property amenities. We strongly recommend purchasing wristbands here on our website. Phone orders will incur an additional service fee.
#965353 by EM2
Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 am
Call the hotel you're staying at and ask about their parking situation first. I'm sure they either have areas for trailers or know where you could park it. Second, get a ball hitch lock that fits up into the ball cup on your trailer. Anyone wanting your trailer would literally have to torch the hitch off and weld another one on in order to take it. With all the trailers out there, I doubt they choose to do that unless your trailer is made of gold. :wink:
#965418 by Hoop
Mon May 01, 2017 7:59 am
Estimates are that anywhere from 30 to 70% of those at Sturgis trailer there bikes. Campgrounds are of course fully aware of this. Every single campground has a parking area for vehicles/trailers. In many, you can park right next to your tent. Others have a special designated parking area. Some campgrounds have an extra fee for trailers. Most don't. Little need to worry about anyone stealing your trailer, as there will be tens of thousands of them in Sturgis during the rally. Bring a padlock if you're worried about it, locking the trailer to the transport vehicle.
When you choose your campground, generally, the campgrounds website addresses there parking policy. If its not adressed, email or call to find out for certain.
#965451 by 14sgs59
Mon May 01, 2017 11:23 pm
dschommer.......if I read your post correctly, it sounds like you want to leave your vehicle and trailer and have the ability to ride around and stay at different campgrounds. You might try Stromers near the Rapid City airport. They have outdoor and covered parking and offer weekly rates.