Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#969148 by EM2
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am
randee or SturgisSoundguy are probably your best bets on info here regarding venues. I know they are pretty busy right now but they do pop in on occasion. Hopefully they'll be able to help you out.
#969170 by Leadhand
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 am
send a PM to Randee-site owner or send a e-mail to him at

Sturgis.com / BlackHills.com
511 W Jackson Blvd
Spearfish, SD 57783a
(605) 641-8166
[email protected]

he might to be able to tell you whom to contact.
or just google all the places in Sturgis and contact them.
Lot of campgrounds in Sturgis area have smaller band venues
as do some of the local bars in and around Sturgis.
#969258 by EM2
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 pm
randee wrote:I need to put together a list of all the bars and places that hire bands during the Rally...

Well, you got until next year...... :wink:
#969709 by SturgisSoundguy
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm
PM me and I can give you some peoples names for campgrounds/bars around Sturgis.

Heads up, a lot of bands WANT to play Sturgis. National Acts get normal money because they are known. Unknown bands start at the bottom. If you are "big" where you are from and play biker events, have write-ups in Quick Throttle or other biker rags, put that in your promo pack you'll be getting to people.

I have friends that play Sturgis every year. One band the 1st time they played here they had to rent an RV and park it at my place because they weren't getting paid enough to rent an RV and pay for a place to park it and still take money home. They were good enough to get asked back for the headline slot (3rd year now) and can ask for better money. (you can rent RV's from a few places here)

If you have an RV and it won't cost a fortune to drive it to Sturgis and back that is a plus. You'll still have to pay for a place to park it or get the venue to pay for that. That will be a few hundred just to park it anywhere close to Sturgis with hook-ups.

Some places will let you sell your band t-shirts/stickers/CD's if you have any, some places won't let you sell stuff because they want the people coming in to buy their t-shirts/shot glasses etc.

Make sure you ask the places about their band tip/reque$t policy as well. Some of the campgrounds/bars have security barriers in front of the stages so people would have to literally throw reque$ts at you!

At most places the band isn't the draw, the band is an added attraction (unless you're ZZ Top etc) and just being in Sturgis is the main attraction. The bars/campgrounds are going to make money pretty much regardless who is on stage.

The Loud American Roadhouse is the only place to have live music year round on weekends. Getting to play there when it's not the Rally would be a good way to possibly play there during the Rally. The Loud American is probably the only place an original band that's not a national act would get to play their own songs, everywhere else wants cover bands that play known rock/blues/country biker music.

Best of luck!