Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#415279 by Copperhead
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 am
First Timers And Must Do's Questions
Annually, we get newcomers posting and asking questions on what First Timers to Sturgis must see and do. We end up with a plethora of Threads and often things get repeated, not that is a bad thing, but it might be easier if we could list a sights to see, rides to take and things to do.

Let's try and keep this one to the lists only! General directions would be of help too..maybe a a days ride itinerary to take in sights.

My own list for the First timers is:

Deadwood and Saloon No 10.

Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Spearfish Canyon.

Custer State park.

Devil's Tower.

Ride from Spearfish (town) through Spearfish Canyon to Cheyenne Crossing, over to Four Corners, up to Sundance, past Devil's Tower, on to Hulett, next towards Belle Fourche. A good ride.
Stops along the way, Cheyenne Crossing, Sundance, Devil's Tower, Hulett, Stonehouse.

Needles Hwy,

Iron Mountain Road

Badlands.

Custer.

Newcastle.

Hill City.
#415327 by Kaysan
Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:07 pm
What about the map? Everywhere you go, when you get close to the hills find a map "Badlands & Black Hills of South Dakota and Northeastern Wyoming". About 11" by 14" and tri folds. Find one and get one, you won't be sorry, will show you all the roads for the Black Hills, Badlands and Devil's Tower.

Vanocker Canyon Road
Nemo Road
Keystone
Hill City
Mt Rushmore
Needles Hwy
Iron Mountain Road
Custer State Park
Custer
Devil's Tower
Sundance
Deadwood
Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway
Badlands
Wall Drugstore
and of course in Sturgis:
One Eyed Jacks
Knuckle Saloon
Shopping, shopping, shopping
East of Sturgis:
Full Throttle
Thunder road
Dragstrip
Buffalochip Campground
Bear Butte
Dragpipe Saloon
and don't miss Rapid City and the Auditorium

Take your pick and enjoy :wink:
#415365 by lost_ej
Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:17 pm
Add.....

The Dungeon Bar, downtown Sturgis

Moonshine Gulch Saloon, Rochford

Hisega Inn, Hisega
#415371 by Wanderlost
Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm
Crazy Horse Monument

#415372 by lost_ej
Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 pm
Copperhead wrote:
Newcastle.

What / Where is Newcastle?
#415406 by Walter Davidson
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:34 pm
lost_ej wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
Newcastle.

West of Custer, in Wyoming. A great ride.
#415413 by grizz
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:45 pm
lost_ej wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
Newcastle.

#415414 by lost_ej
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm
OK... Newcastle. What's there? What makes it worth seeing and what makes it a good ride? Looks kinda boring!
#415415 by EM2
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:49 pm
All I see is Black Hills........but my eyes ain;t that good anymore.
#415416 by grizz
Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:53 pm
16 west of Newcastle is kinda boring but 85 outa Deadwood is very scenic and not real busy(least the times I've been)Don't pickup hitchhikers in Newcastle :lol: I'd recommend doing 85 south and 16 east towards Custer. A few bars along the way :wink:
#415453 by Rebel Rick
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 pm
This will be my first year and only have one ride that i have decided to be certain to do and that is the Needles highway. Other than that i'm just gonna wing it. With me i am bad with sticking to a set plan prefer just letting fate take me where ever and end up doing what ever feels right at the time.
#415462 by Copperhead
Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:41 pm
Newcastle....basically what Grizz said. It's a real nice ride if you want to minimize the crowd a bit...lotsa places to stop. And...I would go back through Custer too...
#415765 by Dawalkr
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 pm
:WithStupid:

#416366 by Walter Davidson
Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:29 pm
I would post my map but it is full size: the scale says "1 mile equals 1 mile". I don't even take it along much anymore.
#416476 by travelinMan
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:49 am
lost_ej wrote:OK... Newcastle. What's there? What makes it worth seeing and what makes it a good ride? Looks kinda boring!
Actually took that road for the first time last year after doing Spearfish Canyon Rd.
85 is actually a really nice road from 14A going towards the Four Corners and than on to Newcastle. Not much traffic on it, good scenery and some good overlooks along the way. We went all the way down to Newcastle and than drove across on 16 to Custer.
#416477 by travelinMan
Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 am
nebwyldthang wrote:What about the map? Everywhere you go, when you get close to the hills find a map "Badlands & Black Hills of South Dakota and Northeastern Wyoming". About 11" by 14" and tri folds. Find one and get one, you won't be sorry, will show you all the roads for the Black Hills, Badlands and Devil's Tower.

Does the Map kind of look like this one?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/maps/badlands_map.pdf