Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#957644 by WyomingRider
Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:55 am
This will be 9th year in a row that we have made it to Sturgis and we still enjoy the experience. The first few years, we stayed in campgrounds east of Sturgis (Shade Valley, Lamphere). The misery of riding through Sturgis at least twice a day to go on rides became more tedious than it was worth so we went to Tilford Gulch campground which is on the interstate. That was a great place to stay and was easy to go anywhere we wanted to go but was just way too noisy all the time. We then moved on to a campground in the Hills near Hill City (Whispering Pines). We stayed in a toy hauler with friends and it was the most enjoyable stay up until that time. The next two rallies, we stayed at a little motel in Hill City that was affordable and enjoyed that a great deal since we could ride the bikes. Last year, we were not with friends so bought our own toy hauler and stayed at Crooked Creek campground which is a couple miles south of Hill City. It is, for us, the perfect solution. It is a great campground with all the facilities we need. It is very affordable. It is close to all the things we love to see and do and it is close enough to Hill City that we can enjoy meals and the night life there. The campground is quiet enough to get a great nights sleep but you can find people to party with if that's what you are seeking. We will be back there again this year and for the foreseeable future. We leave home on Friday morning, the 5ht, but have to stop in Casper for a short service on the toy hauler and plan on arriving at the campground about 7:00 pm. We will return home on Wednesday the 10th. We are looking forward to our time there, especially since our riding buddies will be staying in the same campground for two of the days we are there. Wherever you go or whatever you do, have a safe time and enjoy yourself. :multi:
#958957 by randee
Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 am
Lots of places with bands playing, there is no 'central or main band booking' contact.
But check the Schedule of Events on the site (http://www.sturgis.com/content/scheduleofevents.html) and see which places are promoting their concerts... The Schedule of Events has EveryThing we can find listed!
#968759 by [email protected]
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:37 pm
Kingadaroad wrote:I've done Sturgis quite a few times (I think about 15 now) so I will throw in my 2cents. My wife and I used to go and stay in hotels but ended up staying further and further away to get a deal. The last couple of times she went we stayed in Custer. While Custer has a small party of its own, it is pretty quiet at night. If you are stuck on staying in a hotel, I would suggest Deadwood. There is nice riding all around it and lots to do day and night. For the last several years, I have been riding to the rally with my buds and staying at Lamphere campground. It's clean, quiet and close to the action (less action now that the Full Throttle has moved on) My suggestion to you is if you are trailering the bikes, pick up a good size tent that you can stand up and move around in, pick up a queen size air bed, bring a couple camp chairs, and you will be comfortable. You will make some good lasting friends in the campground. It just happens. Enjoy the rally!

Hi! We are staying at the Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood . . . 8/4 - 8/11. So excited and kind of scared! LOL
#968760 by [email protected]
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 pm
come&gone wrote:Back when they didn't have the tall air mattresses, the wife and I used to stack the regular ones. Wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure we stayed at Glencoe the 1st year they opened. I believe "83 but I could be wrong because it was a long time ago and I never worried too much about dates. Before then I went without the wife and didn't know what an air mattress was. :o Back then we drank enough we could sleep on gravel in a sleeping bag &
get a nights sleep. :lol: We still drink our share, :beer: but the gravel is out of the question.

And although I haven't slept in a tent in a few years, if I did it would have to be tall enough to stand up in. Actually, it's out in the garage. Just hasn't been used lately. :) In the mean time it's South Dakota. When it's hot I would like to be cool, when it's cold I would like to be warm and when it"s raining like ten million mofo's I want to be dry. And ride off on a paved road. :D

Hi! We are staying at the Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood . . . 8/4 - 8/11. So excited and kind of scared! LOL

Ah, to be young again. :lol:
#968761 by [email protected]
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:42 pm
71choptop wrote:Another Cheesehead here. Will be heading out, been a couple of years, on August 2nd and staying at Glencoe w/20 other riders, most from Minnesota. Turning 65 at the end of August, I don't mind tenting it for a week, the tall air mattresses are great and I like the TeePee style tents for the height. I find many of my friends bring campers and we even have a chase/haul vehicle this year.
Usually stay close to Glencoe after dark for the partying but will have to try out the Shuttle thing this year, have gone this far w/out a dw.....