Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#930197 by randee
Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:22 am
Be careful of the bison - they will attack if they feel threatened and they don't react like cows. Bison are very fast and can spin on a dime.
#930209 by WyomingRider
Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:18 pm
We rode through Yellowstone Park two weeks ago and before we went in, a guy in West Yellowstone told us that people on motorcycles are called 'Meals On Wheels'! The only wildlife we saw was some Buffalo and they were not even in the park. Beautiful country but very slow going with all the cars and the slow speed limits.
#943778 by woodbuchr
Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:04 pm
Well the wife finally saw a buffalo!! We rode the Wildlife Loop after Needles and we finally saw some buffalo (about a dozen) on a hill a ways off. She looked like the girl from Little House on the Prairie dancing across the grass to take photos (and yes we were way far enough away to be safe). Of course the guys with us, and me too, enjoyed watching her bounce her way back to us!
#956450 by [email protected]
Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 pm
Planning our first trip to Sturgis for the Rally in 2017. An experienced Rally attendee suggested we stay in Custer. Thoughts? Is there a shuttle or something from Custer to Sturgis? What about staying in Rapid City? Any other advice about where to stay. It will just be my husband and I. Looking to do some rides during the day but want to have some fun too (go out, enjoy some partying but be safe by using shuttle or Uber if possible). Any advice about good places to stay? We are looking for hotel, private residence, cabin rental at a camp ground or similar. No tent camping.

Thanks for the info!
#956457 by Leadhand
Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 am
[email protected] wrote:Planning our first trip to Sturgis for the Rally in 2017. An experienced Rally attendee suggested we stay in Custer. Thoughts? Is there a shuttle or something from Custer to Sturgis? What about staying in Rapid City? Any other advice about where to stay. It will just be my husband and I. Looking to do some rides during the day but want to have some fun too (go out, enjoy some partying but be safe by using shuttle or Uber if possible). Any advice about good places to stay? We are looking for hotel, private residence, cabin rental at a camp ground or similar. No tent camping.

Thanks for the info!

where in Whiskey u from- my ? 2 u
NO shuttle from Custer that I know of. :roll:
How long u plan on being there?
How much do u party?
How much u wanna spend?
Are you riding out?
Why do u have a email as your handle?
I am Leadhand-I am from Wisconsin- Be more than happy to
answer any and all of your ?. Either over the phone or at some local
Wisconsin Bar. :lol: :wink: Have no fear I am a Moderator, and because
you are from Wis, that makes you special :beerchug: :m22:
#956492 by come&gone
Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:04 pm
Leadhand wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Planning our first trip to Sturgis for the Rally in 2017. An experienced Rally attendee suggested we stay in Custer. Thoughts? Is there a shuttle or something from Custer to Sturgis? What about staying in Rapid City? Any other advice about where to stay. It will just be my husband and I. Looking to do some rides during the day but want to have some fun too (go out, enjoy some partying but be safe by using shuttle or Uber if possible). Any advice about good places to stay? We are looking for hotel, private residence, cabin rental at a camp ground or similar. No tent camping.

Thanks for the info!

where in Whiskey u from- my ? 2 u
NO shuttle from Custer that I know of. :roll:
How long u plan on being there?
How much do u party?
How much u wanna spend?
Are you riding out?
Why do u have a email as your handle?
I am Leadhand-I am from Wisconsin- Be more than happy to
answer any and all of your ?. Either over the phone or at some local
Wisconsin Bar. :lol: :wink: Have no fear I am a Moderator, and because
you are from Wis, that makes you special :beerchug: :m22:

Special Ed :lol:
#956493 by [email protected]
Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 pm
My email is my handle because I don't really know how these boards work or how to change it! LOL. Live in Oshkosh. Think we will trailer the bikes out there. Was hoping to stay for the week - more or less. Take off work that Mon - Fri and need to drive out and back over the weekends. Personally, I wouldn't mind one of those little cabin things, but may want to spring for something with AC and that has private bathroom instead of having to use camper community bathroom. But if it saves $100 per night, I'd go without the luxury, I guess. Still researching prices - I've heard stories about Motel 6 going for $350/night. I would not pay that.
Originally I thought I wanted to stay as close to Sturgis as possible, but now I am thinking that may be too crowded. We definitely want to party some, but I also don't drink and drive and am hoping to find a safe ride alternative (UBER, shuttle, or something) near wherever we stay that can get us to the fun stuff and allow us to partake without driving our bikes.

Any suggestions?
#956496 by SturgisSoundguy
Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:06 pm
Hey,

Stay in Sturgis or nearer to Sturgis. It won't be crowded, last year everyone was talking about record crowds for the 75th and it turned out to be a very low attendence year compared to 2006 or 2000 when it really was crowded.

One exit south of Sturgis on the I-90 there are 3 nice campgrounds that have shuttle service to Sturgis and east of Sturgis to the campgrounds with the concerts, Full Throttle, Glencoe, Buffalo Chip etc. There is a shuttle hub one block off of Main St near the Court House. This is your best bet for non-riding convenience and affordable camping.

One of the campgrounds one exit south of Sturgis was $10 for tent camping last year.

If you want the best deal on concerts at the Chip you can get ALL the concerts for 2017 for $165 if you buy next years (2017) camping pass now. Go to the Chip website and look for the 2017 reservation tab.

If you plan on partying stay as close to Sturgis as you can to use the shuttles. There is ZERO tolerance by Sturgis Police, Meade Co. Sheriff, and S.D. Highway Patrol/State Troopers and you will see plenty of those guys during the Rally. They are all pretty nice and won't bother you if you don't give them a reason to.

It's really easy to get around and park on a bike. Getting around in a car not so much around Sturgis, anywhere else in the Black Hills a car is possible but parking might mean a few blocks walk since many of the smaller towns have bike parking on the main drags and car parking on the side streets. Planning on NOT driving 4 wheels is your best choice for getting around sight seeing.

Have a great trip!

SSG

[email protected] wrote:My email is my handle because I don't really know how these boards work or how to change it! LOL. Live in Oshkosh. Think we will trailer the bikes out there. Was hoping to stay for the week - more or less. Take off work that Mon - Fri and need to drive out and back over the weekends. Personally, I wouldn't mind one of those little cabin things, but may want to spring for something with AC and that has private bathroom instead of having to use camper community bathroom. But if it saves $100 per night, I'd go without the luxury, I guess. Still researching prices - I've heard stories about Motel 6 going for $350/night. I would not pay that.
Originally I thought I wanted to stay as close to Sturgis as possible, but now I am thinking that may be too crowded. We definitely want to party some, but I also don't drink and drive and am hoping to find a safe ride alternative (UBER, shuttle, or something) near wherever we stay that can get us to the fun stuff and allow us to partake without driving our bikes.

Any suggestions?
#956509 by Hoop
Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 pm
Being an Oshkosh native, you know full well what a yearly huge event is all about. In a word, capitalism. Sturgis is to motorcycles as Oshkosh is to planes/jets.

Its about 900 miles from Oshkosh to Sturgis. Very scenic around LaCrosse/etc then its corn fields & prarie until you cross the Missouri.

If you want to take in some of the Sturgis night life, stay close to Sturgis. Night time travel is extremely dangerous on the 2 lane country roads. Those windy curvy roads that are a blast to ride in the daylight turn dangerous after dark. Then toss in the drunks & wild animals. You may indeed be able to travel from Sturgis to Custer after 10pm. I guarantee you its a trip you wouldn't want to repeat.

Where to stay is always a crap shoot. I stay in a tent with an air bed. I'll admit I'm not really a huge fan of tent camping. I'm even less of a fan of paying $300+ for a motel room that normally goes for $80. I can deal with tent camping for a week. I fully enjoy the camaderie that occurs at campgrounds.
Cabins in campgrounds are little more than garden tool sheds, with A/C, lights, a mini fridge, and a bed. No bathroom in the cabin. IMHO, these are an even bigger ripoff than the motels.
Also remember this if you're staying at a campground. Most of the Sturgis area campgrounds have little, if any shade. Being a Wisconsinite, you'll definitely want to stay at a venue with plenty of shade, to endure the near certain 90 degree temperatures. There are a few beautifully wooded campgrounds with plenty of shade. Another issue is noise. Internal noise (from within the campground), and external noise (nearby interstate highway, concert venue, stoplight, etc)

Others have stated Johnny Law won't cut you any slack. 100% true. If you're traveling even 2 mph over the speed limit, you run the risk of getting pulled over & fined. And yes, they will be looking for more serious offenses. Sturgis has a shuttle service. Not sure how far from Sturgis it goes, but basically it goes from downtown to the campgrounds & vice versa.
#956545 by come&gone
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm
My two cents worth, and it probably has something to do with my age and the number of times I've been to Sturgis. From the time I throw a leg over my bike and take off "I'm in Sturgis". Start meeting with other bikers on the road with a common destination is great. Once I get to the Hills, it's just icing on the cake. Sturgis gets a bit crowded these days for me. Don't get me wrong, we go but earlier in the day. Plenty of partying to do at night away from Sturgis with fellow bikers. And it's cheaper.

Won't be doing any tent camping for me either, but that's a story for a different day. (but a good one :lol: ) A buddy of mine years ago said he liked to have his own toilet even if it cost more, and I agree. It seems a lot of the motels this year don't think the "75th" is over yet, but there are still deals to be had. (deal being less than $200 a night for a nice motel :lol: ) If you're coming out in 2017 they may have their heads out of their asses by then and rates will be even more reasonable than this year. Got a hunch we're gonna see plenty of vacancies this year.

I've slept in a sleeping bag under a camper, or picnic table with a can of bug spray. Done the tents at Glenco. Did the private home rental for a number of years. Stayed at motels all over the area. I prefer the motels.
They clean up after me every morning and I don't have the responsibility of keeping a bunch of drunks in line in a private home :shock:

Either way, to each his own. Already been some real good advice on here, especially regarding law enforcement. Don't ride alone, you're an easier target. There's safety in numbers :!:

There is more to see in the Hills and surrounding areas than you'll ever be able to see in a week, so once you're hooked you better figure on coming back.

Have a great time!
#957398 by 71choptop
Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:38 pm
Another Cheesehead here. Will be heading out, been a couple of years, on August 2nd and staying at Glencoe w/20 other riders, most from Minnesota. Turning 65 at the end of August, I don't mind tenting it for a week, the tall air mattresses are great and I like the TeePee style tents for the height. I find many of my friends bring campers and we even have a chase/haul vehicle this year.
Usually stay close to Glencoe after dark for the partying but will have to try out the Shuttle thing this year, have gone this far w/out a dw.....
#957402 by come&gone
Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Back when they didn't have the tall air mattresses, the wife and I used to stack the regular ones. Wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure we stayed at Glencoe the 1st year they opened. I believe "83 but I could be wrong because it was a long time ago and I never worried too much about dates. Before then I went without the wife and didn't know what an air mattress was. :o Back then we drank enough we could sleep on gravel in a sleeping bag &
get a nights sleep. :lol: We still drink our share, :beer: but the gravel is out of the question.

And although I haven't slept in a tent in a few years, if I did it would have to be tall enough to stand up in. Actually, it's out in the garage. Just hasn't been used lately. :) In the mean time it's South Dakota. When it's hot I would like to be cool, when it's cold I would like to be warm and when it"s raining like ten million mofo's I want to be dry. And ride off on a paved road. :D

Ah, to be young again. :lol:
#957557 by Kingadaroad
Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:26 pm
I've done Sturgis quite a few times (I think about 15 now) so I will throw in my 2cents. My wife and I used to go and stay in hotels but ended up staying further and further away to get a deal. The last couple of times she went we stayed in Custer. While Custer has a small party of its own, it is pretty quiet at night. If you are stuck on staying in a hotel, I would suggest Deadwood. There is nice riding all around it and lots to do day and night. For the last several years, I have been riding to the rally with my buds and staying at Lamphere campground. It's clean, quiet and close to the action (less action now that the Full Throttle has moved on) My suggestion to you is if you are trailering the bikes, pick up a good size tent that you can stand up and move around in, pick up a queen size air bed, bring a couple camp chairs, and you will be comfortable. You will make some good lasting friends in the campground. It just happens. Enjoy the rally!