Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#872257 by runningbear
Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 am
First timers
My only recommendation is that the Sturgis Ralley IS NOT the place to learn how to ride your motorcycle, or to refresh your riding skills, Most of the roads in the Black Hills, like the Needles Hwy, Iron Mountain Road, and the Nemo road are for experienced riders, not novice riders. Last year saw 2 accidents, minor, both novice riders, one just got his motorcycle endorsement. Enjoy the Black Hills and the Sturgis Ralley, but you novice riders, please stay the [email protected] home, and take a riders safety course, and get some seat time before you come to such a big event that has thousands of riders on the same road that you are just learning on.
Stay Safe
Runningbear
#886693 by AZ
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:27 pm
I agree runningbear, its too easy to ride outside your limits when your at sturgis, take into consideration the roads, the scenery and the number of bikes there is very easy to turn a "vacation" into a nightmare. Be safe everybody, I want to see you giving advice to first timers next year....
#911230 by knucklebucket
Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:40 pm
well after my first trip last year this is what I have to offer.
1. spend months looking at all the possible rides and sites because if you go out there not exactly sure of what you want to do, you stand to miss out on alot by trying to find your way around.
2. Take lots of water....water...water. Did I mention take lots of water lmao. we rode alot and every night I would freeze 4/5 20oz bottles of water and by day's end we would have drank all of them.
3. Camera is an absolute must. so many things to see, beautiful scenery, wildlife, people we took 849 pictures last year and still had many more we wanted to take.
4.This to me is the most important of them all. When you take the journey to Sturgis be sure without a doubt that the people you are going with are very compatible with you. We went with another couple last year. a couple I had known for almost 15 years, we had taken many local rides at home and enjoyed the day. but when we got out there my buddy Bob had a corncob up his ass the whole time. all he wanted to do was speed down the roads. he didn't want to stop, enjoy the sights, people or nothing although Diane and I didn't let him ruin our fun, his wife was silently miserable the whole time because she wasn't allowed to enjoy anything. This year we are going with peeps we know very well and we know we are going to have a great time with. so that's my two cents. see ya all there this year.
#911391 by Teqsun
Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:18 pm
Amen to #4... My wife and I hate "hurry up and wait". I don't think the other 2 couples we were with last year were ready before 11:00 on any given morning. Make sure everybody agrees on a time to leave & destination the night before, should you get separated. Our regular Sturgis travelers backed out at the last minute and we felt it would have been rude to just take off on our own ??
Just my $ 0.02
#911417 by liferider
Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:37 am
1. There correct on #4. We had couples this yr back out after we have rented 2 homes beside one another. Mine is a 1 bed room while my riding partner has the 3 bed room and his old friends backed out screwing him. He now has 46 days to find someone to ease his finantual burden. We have all been many times to Sturgis 11 for me. We all sit down and see what rides on what days weeks before. If someone does not want to go then be verbal and say I'm passing on this day. When you are leaving Spearfish and heading west into WY, then turning south to New Castle then to Hill city and up to Rapid city and then back to Spearfish. And stop and see the sights and eat. Thats a tough 9-10 hr riding day. You can not leave at 11:00am and do the ride and stops. To do that ride you better be rolling at 7:30am. Set your Kick stand up time. 9am means be on the bike ready to go at 9am. I ride with a local HOG chapter and they post rides like going to Natch. for lunch at the Landing (KSU 10 am) if you show up at 10:15, you will find an empty parking lot! 99% of miscomunication is due to LACK of comunication. It's not being rude, it's called planning a trip. If people are still eating there cherio's at 8:55 and they hear your bike cranking up, the next day they will be eating there cherios at 8:20. When you are traveling with others if it is 1 couple or 8. #1 it is your vacation also, #2 do not be a door mat for others, #3 set your boundries, let everyone know the night before. hey, we are leaving at 9:00am tomorrow if you are not on your bike at 9:am we will leave you. You know where we are going catch up! That might be harsh to some people but, is it fair to the group that 1 person is doing this, The person doing this might not realize it. Or this person may have been babied there whole life and need a good dose of reality!

Another good point, do not put a 1st timer to Sturgis up front! Plan your rides and your stops so they can see stuff. There are 250,000 to 300,000 bikes on the road and 1 person trying to be a road captain and take in all the sights for a group plus not knowing there way around is a a wreck waiting to happen.
#911559 by liferider
Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:04 pm
Wynona Judds Husband who is also her drummer lost his leg last August right outside Deadwood. They rented some bikes and took off. He was a Inexperianced rider drifted into oncoming traffic and had a head on wreck. The diffrence with the Black Hills is there is a lot of twisting roads and up and down elevation changes, that alot of people are not use to. Mix in 300,000 other bikes and you better know what your doing. I have told this story on another thread but it holds true. In 2011, me and my wife had stopped in hill city the day before at a rock shop then went to Naked winery. So the next day it was sprinkeling rain I asked my wife if we can ditch the bikes and take the SUV to go to the rock shop she liked the day before and we will get her the larger rocks she liked plus go by the Naked winery and pick up 2 cases of wine. So off we went. drizzled the whole way there. After we left the 2nd stop and headed back to Spearfish the bottom fell out! Pouring down cats & dogs. About 1/2 way back to Deadwood we came across a female on a Sportster going 30mph. people were flying past her. She kept looking behind her. We eased up behind her and put on our emergency flashers and followes her to Deadwood. She pulled into a gas station and my wife jumped out to check on her. She had no money, was drenched, scared shitless and freezing. My wife gave her a shirt she had in the SUV an we filled her bike up. Her boyfriend had taught her the month before how to ride and she bought a 883 Sportster. When the rain started he took off and left her. She said the road going into deadwood with the steep grade had her pertrofied. She was so releaved to see out flashers. She assumed we were HWY Patrol. You watch out for other bikers and you hope they watch out for you! My wife told the girl always have a $20 on you. Put it in your boot, sock, somewhere for emergency funds. You can go far on a $20 bill! Buy a burger and water for $5 and put $15 in for fuel at $3.45 per gal thats 4.34 gal x 45 mpg= 195 miles & a full stomach!
#911562 by liferider
Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm
Dakotalover wrote:I agree don't come out here if you are a beginner a gal came out here last year had only ridden like a week she was killed in an accident. get practice and come the next year for everyone's sake.

In 2005, Worst wreck I have ever seen in my life happened 100' infront of me. We rented a house north of I-90 at the veterin's Cemetary exit. We were heading out and all 12 of us were gathering up at the stop sign, about to turn right towards Sturgis. We heard a rice rocket wound up and screaming! he lost control and hit the overpass ties and side rail and sign's. It was surreal, like it happened in slow motion. His group said he was bragging that the bike would do 200+mph. They said it was his first bike and he got it less than 30 days before coming to Sturgis. We stayed and gave out statements to the Sherriff's deputies. They estimated from what we saw, the debris area and distance the debree covered and riders he was passing and his group trying to catch him that his impact speed was above 175mph. The bike and the human body just exploded like a bomb went off. There were peaces of bike and human everywhere! It was a very sobering experiance!
#911572 by VDeuce
Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 pm
liferider wrote:...He now has 46 days to find someone to ease his finantual burden.

liferider, where are the houses located? This is year 13 for wifey and I, and instead of Glencoe, thinking about something else. If you want to PM me, that's fine too. Just wondering how much for the house and location....

Jeff
#911576 by liferider
Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm
VDeuce wrote:
liferider wrote:...He now has 46 days to find someone to ease his finantual burden.

liferider, where are the houses located? This is year 13 for wifey and I, and instead of Glencoe, thinking about something else. If you want to PM me, that's fine too. Just wondering how much for the house and location....

Jeff

filled the house this weekend, sorry.
#912824 by fudgie
Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm
1st time I went out, in 02, with coworkers. Did the RV and trailer thing cause of the women. No offense, talking about our women. :lol: we woke up early and they had to get all dolled up. Never left before 10a. :x I rode out in 06 and had a ball. Been riding out ever since and the current wife has been going since 07. 2012 she had to fly out and same for this yr. I always wanted people to go with me but they would always back out. We gave up asking. We like to stop when we want, go when we want, stop at local museums etc. Don't have to wait on me. I will never ride with someone out on a trip. Except for other Valkyrie riders. We all ride alike. :lol:
Wife was to ride out on her own this yr. She has a 2012 shadow 750 but she cant get off work. So she is flying out again for 4 days. Last yr was the 1st time she has ridden solo. she used her moms 07 virago 250. She put 4 states and 4,000 miles on it. She has ridden and went thru a lot in her short time and came out great. If she was to ride out, she would get on the back of mine and ride the hills. She would ride into town on hers tho. She is smart enough to know her limits.

No way would I be 'green' and be out there.
#928478 by Utahdave2
Tue May 20, 2014 11:29 pm
My own son about killed me on the way to Sturgis a few years ago. He had less than 4 months experience on his first bike. He came west to meet us, and he knew the back roads in Wyoming that we were on, so like a fool I let him lead.

Suddenly he is slowing down, pulling over and I am trapped between his bike and the edge of the road.
I missed him and stayed on the paved surface, but I am not sure how.

This was 200 + miles from the Hills. Middle of nowhere. If it had been in the Hills with 200 other bikes around us, it would have been a disaster.

Never again with a newbee.

UTD2
#928489 by WyomingRider
Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 am
Utahdave2 wrote:Back to topic - things to do.

Needles Highway, pigtail bridges, Mt Rushmore.
Spearfish Canyon, stop at Roughlock falls.
Deadwood
Nemo fire dept breakfast.

UTD2

I concur on all that you listed UTD2 but would add Devil's tower with a stop at the StoneHouse Saloon. The Nemo breakfast is the best and most reasonable breakfast and the ride there is spectacular, no matter which way you go! The wildlife loop through Custer State Park is a must-do in my book too. We have been pondering whether or not we would go this year due to a lack of vacation time but I discovered I had 2 more days than I thought so we may have to squeeze in a run up since we have gone every year since 2008.
#930183 by woodbuchr
Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 pm
I'm not a first timer but have not made it to Custer State Park yet and my wife INSISTS! (just kidding) that there are no buffalo in South Dakota because we have yet to see one and everything I have heard says to go to Custer to see them. What is the best route to Custer from Lead/Deadwood? Can it be added to a day of Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Needles, and Iron Mountain without being too much or should it be it's own day trip?
#930184 by Smoke
Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm
woodbuchr wrote:I'm not a first timer but have not made it to Custer State Park yet and my wife INSISTS! (just kidding) that there are no buffalo in South Dakota because we have yet to see one and everything I have heard says to go to Custer to see them. What is the best route to Custer from Lead/Deadwood? Can it be added to a day of Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Needles, and Iron Mountain without being too much or should it be it's own day trip?

yes there are buffalo in Custer SP.... best way to Custer is.... when ya doing the rushmore, iron mt, needles, crazy horse loop.... skip the needles and continue south thru custer then back up into the loop again... Custer SP is just west of the town of custer... south of Needles between the road from Crazyhorse, and Iron Mt.
#930185 by come&gone
Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:38 pm
Smoke wrote:
woodbuchr wrote:I'm not a first timer but have not made it to Custer State Park yet and my wife INSISTS! (just kidding) that there are no buffalo in South Dakota because we have yet to see one and everything I have heard says to go to Custer to see them. What is the best route to Custer from Lead/Deadwood? Can it be added to a day of Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Needles, and Iron Mountain without being too much or should it be it's own day trip?

yes there are buffalo in Custer SP.... best way to Custer is.... when ya doing the rushmore, iron mt, needles, crazy horse loop.... skip the needles and continue south thru custer then back up into the loop again... Custer SP is just west of the town of custer... south of Needles between the road from Crazyhorse, and Iron Mt.

I remember one occasion in Custer State Park when we saw a LOT more buffalo than we wanted too. We were for the most part surrounded by the dumb beasts. It had a happy ending though, and made for good pictures and stories. :D

Now that I think about it, it's not the only time in my 40+ years of riding that I've been surrounded by dumb beasts. :lol:
#930189 by woodbuchr
Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:07 pm
[quote="come&gone"][quote="Smoke"][quote="woodbuchr"]I'm not a first timer but have not made it to Custer State Park yet and my wife INSISTS! (just kidding) that there are no buffalo in South Dakota because we have yet to see one and everything I have heard says to go to Custer to see them. What is the best route to Custer from Lead/Deadwood? Can it be added to a day of Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Needles, and Iron Mountain without being too much or should it be it's own day trip?[/quote]

yes there are buffalo in Custer SP.... best way to Custer is.... when ya doing the rushmore, iron mt, needles, crazy horse loop.... skip the needles and continue south thru custer then back up into the loop again... Custer SP is just west of the town of custer... south of Needles between the road from Crazyhorse, and Iron Mt.[/quote]

I remember one occasion in Custer State Park when we saw a LOT more buffalo than we wanted too. We were for the most part surrounded by the dumb beasts. It had a happy ending though, and made for good pictures and stories. :D

Now that I think about it, it's not the only time in my 40+ years of riding that I've been surrounded by dumb beasts. :lol:[/quote]

I have been through Needles a couple of times but the people going with me haven't so I would still take that ride. It looks like I could take them through Needles and then go south to Wildlife Loop Road and still get back to Iron Moutain once I top out of Wildlife Loop Road (which I figure is where we should see wildlife (animal not human :lol: ), right? Might be a long ride (for them anyway) but worth it.

I've been surrounded by dumb beasts while riding too but thet are usually Asses and not bison!

Thanks for the info