BBOOTS

A Moderated Message Board 

Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#732574  by DOGZ
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 am
sportstergirl wrote:One tip also that I do, is bring my old socks and throw them way (AWAY) after I wear them --->She doesnt like to do laundry (but do remember to have an extra pair for the ride home incase ya hit rain) INCASE??? INCASE???? you hit rain? DOGZ tip: If you ride with SG YOU WILL BE RAINED ON, so bring extra socks . lightens the load, have heard others bring old t-shirts and throw those away too.

And don't forget yous stuff for the shower, soap, flip-flops, and towels (old towels if you need to lighten the load again throw them away too).

#732684  by Copperhead
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm
DOGZ wrote:
sportstergirl wrote:One tip also that I do, is bring my old socks and throw them way (AWAY) after I wear them --->She doesnt like to do laundry (but do remember to have an extra pair for the ride home incase ya hit rain) INCASE??? INCASE???? you hit rain? DOGZ tip: If you ride with SG YOU WILL BE RAINED ON, so bring extra socks . lightens the load, have heard others bring old t-shirts and throw those away too.

And don't forget yous stuff for the shower, soap, flip-flops, and towels (old towels if you need to lighten the load again throw them away too).
*double snicker*

#732711  by sportstergirl
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Copperhead wrote:
DOGZ wrote:

*double snicker*
yea you haven't ridden with me, so you wouldn't know if it rains on me or not.....

#732712  by Copperhead
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 pm
sportstergirl wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
DOGZ wrote:

*double snicker*
yea you haven't ridden with me, so you wouldn't know if it rains on me or not.....
but the stories are legendary!!!

#732717  by sportstergirl
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 pm
Copperhead wrote:
sportstergirl wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
DOGZ wrote:

*double snicker*
That's true,,, I guess..... I have the rains and Dogz has the frogs

#732747  by DOGZ
 Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 pm
sportstergirl wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
sportstergirl wrote:
Copperhead wrote:
DOGZ wrote:

*double snicker*
That's true,,, I guess..... I have the rains and Dogz has the frogs
are u SURE bout turnin LEFT?
 #784705  by wvdeuce
 Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:42 pm
Smoke I just saw this. You did good. I have learned in life the first trip to anywhere is a learning experience. You make some small and major mistakes but you know better the next time.
As he said you really do not need reservations for tent camping at camp grounds. They will let you in and you may be in the middle of a field with no shade but you are in. Then you say next year I’ll come early and I can get the spot I want. I made a reservation one year at Creek Side camp ground. Had to cancel in May because I changed my mind as to where I wanted to stay. They give me back my fee less 20% as I was aware of with no problems. After July 1, at most camp grounds there is no refunds.

I have shipped my camping gear 3 times. All three times to friends who live in Sturgis. You can ship your camping gear to the Sturgis post office. Call the post office and they will tell you how to address it. Sure beats carrying it 1500 miles one way to Sturgis. To ship two boxes by the cheapest means cost me about $35.00 each way.

If you want to go into Sturgis from The Glencoe or Buffalo Chip area to shop at Dakota Mart, The best little supermarket in the area. Go in before 9-30 am and you will in cruise in with almost no traffic. You can leave Sturgis to came back I’ll say till about 1 PM have no problem. After these time you will be telling you self I was told about this traffic. Do not park in the Dakota Mart parking lot and think I can park here and walk ½ block and look at the vendors for the next two hours and they will not know if I am in the store. Well they check the lot. I have never seen tow truck wearing a gun until I saw one picking up a motorcycle in the store lot. I said to my self, he knows he may run into a real hot head if the bike owners come along and he it ready for a showdown.
Oh yes some more advise. If you think your will buy a cheap tent and sleeping bag at Wal-Mart use it and just throw it think again. You may or may not as they may have sold then all before you got there. Remember there are 200,000 to 400,000 people in the area and everyone shops at Wal-Mart.
Well that is my 2 cents for tonight.
I am having a slow night here so I am just playing on the computer and enjoying my A/C as it was 95 degrees today and is still hot out.
 #789372  by lozcajun
 Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm
the way to get cheap tent from wal mart is to order it on line to ship to store, they hold it there for you.
 #803019  by Biskit
 Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:21 pm
Great post Smoke! The info helped me out allot and I will use it for my first trip in 2011. Thanks!
 #807331  by Shadowgirl
 Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:22 am
huh, this is the first time i saw this post..... must've been sleepin' this year!! i would have definitely appreciated this when i went for the first time 3 years ago.
 #825249  by stevek3636
 Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:32 am
Hi
We all stayed at Shade Valley 2008, and we're back this year again. Just thought I'd pop in a couple of things people might like to know.
'Da Bus' is a superb service. A $35 wrist band (if you buy it before July 15th) and you have guaranteed transport in and out of Sturgis. The drivers are great, and the bus journeys are something else. Beer and soft drinks are available, clothing optional etc etc. Using Da Bus is part of the experience and sure beats a DWI rap.

Also - check the regs re helmets, as if you are young or not fully licensed you need one. Don't do 'rolling stops', it is a gift to the cops! And always wear eye protection - as it is the law in SD. Keep donuts and burnouts for the pits too.

And if anyone is riding down from Toronto this year - I'll see you on the road. I'll be the Canadian Limey on a Triumph Scrambler!
 #841086  by JackDogstar
 Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:13 am
I got a question about camping along the way. I'm coming from the East Coast along 90 for the first time. Want to camp along the way. What are the best places for doing that? State Parks? Pay-for Camp Grounds? Farms? What's been the experience of folks trying to camp on long-distance rides like this?

I'm thinking nothing fancy. Just pull the bike off the road and curl up in a tarp for a few hours sleep, then maybe brew a cup of coffee over the camp stove and hit the road again.

Thanks for any info you can give.
 #841176  by Smoke
 Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:54 am
JackDogstar wrote:I got a question about camping along the way. I'm coming from the East Coast along 90 for the first time. Want to camp along the way. What are the best places for doing that? State Parks? Pay-for Camp Grounds? Farms? What's been the experience of folks trying to camp on long-distance rides like this?

I'm thinking nothing fancy. Just pull the bike off the road and curl up in a tarp for a few hours sleep, then maybe brew a cup of coffee over the camp stove and hit the road again.

do it every year.. just from the opposite direction... find that out west here most state/fed parks take reservations... you may or may not find space... I just look for one of them private type RV parks (good sams type of place.. or KOA).. most of them have an area for tents.. and with up to 4 small tents in our groups, and we can pitch em all on the same spot they only charge us for one camp... comes out to about 5 bucks each for the night an a hot shower in the morning before hitting the road again
 #841460  by gcetrone
 Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:08 am
Smoke wrote:
JackDogstar wrote:I got a question about camping along the way. I'm coming from the East Coast along 90 for the first time. Want to camp along the way. What are the best places for doing that? State Parks? Pay-for Camp Grounds? Farms? What's been the experience of folks trying to camp on long-distance rides like this?

do it every year.. just from the opposite direction... find that out west here most state/fed parks take reservations... you may or may not find space... I just look for one of them private type RV parks (good sams type of place.. or KOA).. most of them have an area for tents.. and with up to 4 small tents in our groups, and we can pitch em all on the same spot they only charge us for one camp... comes out to about 5 bucks each for the night an a hot shower in the morning before hitting the road again
Done some long hauls from Texas and have just crashed in the rest areas on the superslab. One night I crashed at an HD dealer in Joplin, Mo. Just pulled out the air matress and sleeping bag under their carport by service. Also, asked a biker I met at a gas station late one night about camping in TN on the way to shoot the GAP and he said I could pitch my tent in his yard.
 #957278  by come&gone
 Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:23 pm
wvdeuce wrote:Smoke I just saw this. You did good. I have learned in life the first trip to anywhere is a learning experience. You make some small and major mistakes but you know better the next time.
As he said you really do not need reservations for tent camping at camp grounds. They will let you in and you may be in the middle of a field with no shade but you are in. Then you say next year I’ll come early and I can get the spot I want. I made a reservation one year at Creek Side camp ground. Had to cancel in May because I changed my mind as to where I wanted to stay. They give me back my fee less 20% as I was aware of with no problems. After July 1, at most camp grounds there is no refunds.

I have shipped my camping gear 3 times. All three times to friends who live in Sturgis. You can ship your camping gear to the Sturgis post office. Call the post office and they will tell you how to address it. Sure beats carrying it 1500 miles one way to Sturgis. To ship two boxes by the cheapest means cost me about $35.00 each way.

If you want to go into Sturgis from The Glencoe or Buffalo Chip area to shop at Dakota Mart, The best little supermarket in the area. Go in before 9-30 am and you will in cruise in with almost no traffic. You can leave Sturgis to came back I’ll say till about 1 PM have no problem. After these time you will be telling you self I was told about this traffic. Do not park in the Dakota Mart parking lot and think I can park here and walk ½ block and look at the vendors for the next two hours and they will not know if I am in the store. Well they check the lot. I have never seen tow truck wearing a gun until I saw one picking up a motorcycle in the store lot. I said to my self, he knows he may run into a real hot head if the bike owners come along and he it ready for a showdown.
Oh yes some more advise. If you think your will buy a cheap tent and sleeping bag at Wal-Mart use it and just throw it think again. You may or may not as they may have sold then all before you got there. Remember there are 200,000 to 400,000 people in the area and everyone shops at Wal-Mart.
Well that is my 2 cents for tonight.
I am having a slow night here so I am just playing on the computer and enjoying my A/C as it was 95 degrees today and is still hot out.
Just stumbled on this. Now it's been almost 4 years since we lost the "Deuce" :(
 #957293  by ShoweminMD
 Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:51 am
An awful lot of old friends not often heard from any longer back through this thread - sigh!! :(
 #957312  by DOGZ
 Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:52 am
ShoweminMD wrote:An awful lot of old friends not often heard from any longer back through this thread - sigh!! :(
U got passed by a gurl? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beerchug: