Moderators: longhair, Copperhead, Leadhand, EM2

#973554 by oldguy49
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at Chris' Camp in Spearfish. Made my reservations for the first 4 days of the rally this year. We are going to be using our new toy hauler since we will be going to Yellowstone and points south after we leave the rally. Would like any and all comments about the campground.

Before anyone starts about why don't we just ride, this will be the 4th time we have been and the other 3 we rode. Twice from Ohio and once from Ky. Just want to see more of the country and have found this is the perfect way to do so. Since I retired a few years ago figured we would make a grand retirement trip this year to include a lot of the west and southwest.
#973555 by EM2
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:57 pm
Hopefully someone here can answer your question on the campground. We have a few locals here that usually have some good info along with those that may have actually stayed there. It's a little slow this time of year so be patient with response.

As far as the toy hauler, great for you!! One thing I hope to invest in one day for the same reasons. I think folks are starting to realize we all getting older, an unless you can, and want to do a month long trip, that's about the only way it's going to happen these days. 3 to 4 thousands miles there and back can be hard for a lot of us "older" riders to do in 10 days. So enjoy your trip and be safe.
#973556 by oldguy49
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:01 pm
Thanks, EM2. Yeah as much as I would rather ride out west, I am just not able to do that many mile in a day to get there. The wife and I figured that the toy hauler was the best option.

I have read the on line reviews about the campground and its seems to be a good place to stay, but there is nothing better that information from people that have actually stayed there. I will just sit here patiently awaiting answers.
#973632 by randee
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:19 pm
I've not stayed there but I do help them make their website and they are very nice people and I hear good things about them not bad... http://chriscampground.com/
Hopefully someone who stayed there will add more to this thread...
#973633 by oldguy49
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:30 pm
Thanks Randee, everything I have read says the same thing. Just trying to get some first hand knowledge about the campground.
#973679 by SturgisSoundguy
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm
Had a few friends camp out there a few years ago and hung out with them. It was a nice clean fairly quiet place. Pretty well set up for trailers. It is 25 miles from Sturgis so the downside is don't party in Sturgis and ride back to Spearfish. On the upside there is a Perkins restaurant in Spearfish just a few minutes from Chris' so good reasonable food AND PIE is easy. Did I mention pie? :multi: :multi: :multi:

As you plan your travels check the vehicle length allowed at the campgrounds, you might not be able to stay at some campgrounds in the Nt'l Parks and Nt'l Forests if your truck/trailer is too long as the roads thru the campgrounds and sites were designed back when a camper was a pickup truck with a camper in the bed of the truck not a crew cab dually long bed with a 25 foot 5th wheel trailer behind it. My wife and I watched a retired guy take out a big pine tree branch and his trailer awning/siding/window in the Tetons last summer when he was driving thru Lizard Creek campground looking for an open spot with his wife standing alongside the road trying to help him see. Unfortunately she was standing where he could not hear her yelling nor see her in the truck mirrors waving her arms as he was backing up because his truck and trailer weren't going to make the turn in the campground... If you like to fish I highly recommend Lizard Creek Campground next to Jackson Lake. Bighorn Canyon east of Cody/Powell is another out of the way awesome place to check out.

Have a great trip!
#973681 by oldguy49
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:36 pm
Thanks Soundguy. Appreciate the advice and info about the cg.

Yeah pretty well aware of the length limits in the national parks. We should be ok since all of my reservations so far are at private campgrounds. We have a week reserved in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV park. Supposed to be one of the nicer campgrounds in the area. I would prefer a more rustic campground but at the same time I want to be able to use the bike for some of our sight seeing. Getting a little up in years to be messing with an Ultra on dirt, gravel and pine needles :D :D Just have to make a couple of reservations for the trip out to sturgis and worry about what we are going to do after Yellowstone a little later.
#973698 by SturgisSoundguy
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 pm
Make sure you check the Yellowstone website for construction in the park. Last August about 10-15 miles of the lower loop on the southwest side was NO ROAD. Removed down to the dirt and wet from them trying to keep the dust down and natural water flow across where there were no drainage due to the construction. They were guiding cars/bikes past the construction one direction at a time.

This is the best place to check road info in Wyoming, not including Tetons and Yellowstone:

http://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/webcame ... meras.html
#973854 by Sancho
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm
Stayed at Chris' Campground in 2007. Campground is on a slope. Restrooms and showers were pretty crude. It is more of a family campground then most in the Sturgis area. They served a really good breakfast at that time and had good food in the beer garden. It is only about 18 miles from downtown Sturgis, take exit 14 for the campground and
Sturgis is exit 30 and then about a mile on either end to get where you are going. They have a large overflow area where you can camp for cheap if you are self-contained. Overflow area is level. They crowd you in pretty tight in the main campground.
#973855 by Sancho
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:33 pm
oldguy49 wrote:Thanks Soundguy. Appreciate the advice and info about the cg.

Yeah pretty well aware of the length limits in the national parks. We should be ok since all of my reservations so far are at private campgrounds. We have a week reserved in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV park. Supposed to be one of the nicer campgrounds in the area. I would prefer a more rustic campground but at the same time I want to be able to use the bike for some of our sight seeing. Getting a little up in years to be messing with an Ultra on dirt, gravel and pine needles :D :D Just have to make a couple of reservations for the trip out to sturgis and worry about what we are going to do after Yellowstone a little later.

Grizzly RV Park is very nice. I have stayed there three times and it the best one in that area and the best that I have ever stayed at in Montana.